Friday, January 14, 2011

Back to the 80's



Welcome to 2011 and "Friday Night Happy Hour Video Date" with Pete. I spent the holidays sorting through tens of thousands of videos to try and come up with a few that I feel are a "cut above" the rest. Hope you enjoy the first of the new year.

Tears for Fears was formed in the early 80's by Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith. The two were teenaged friends in Bath, England and quite accomplished session musicians by the time they formed TFF. Many pundits wrote the band off as another synth-based 80's duet, however it soon became clear that they had great talent as both writers and performers.

Their second album "Songs from the Big Chair" went #1 in the USA and cemented their legacy as one of the great 80's bands.

Tonight's video is a live performance (one of their last) and was shot at the County Bowl in Santa Barbara, California, in 1990.

I sincerely wish that I had written this song, because I sure sang it enough times dri...ving around in my car in 1985. How about you?

3 comments:

  1. Tears for Fears was one of the best 80's bands. Everybody Wants to Rule the World is my favourite of their songs. I find it really uplifting. I also love Pale Shelter and Woman in Chains. Recently, I learned from a documentary/biography that the song "Shout" was about primal scream therapy. It turns out one of their older albums was based on that theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogverse, Pete! I was busy changing diapers and driving kids to piano, skating, and dance lessons in 1985, but you can catch me up with the younger generation's tunes (ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea to turn this into a Blog! Great song! Great Live version

    Karen

    ReplyDelete