Friday, February 25, 2011

Tex-Mex in Northern Ontario?



Welcome back to FNHHVD. Last week's episode was pre-empted due to the Speech from the Throne. Nothing I could do....seriously. CBC pre-empted a lot of things when I was a kid. We only had CBC-TV so it wasn't as though I could just change channels. I would really like to see my kids live with one channel today. They couldn't handle it. Their gnat-like attention span wouldn't allow it.

While I am musing about the CBC, do you have any memory of the 60's TV Show "The Forest Rangers"? If so, you'll remember the show's cast of kids who lived at a northern Ontario forest outpost, and basically ran around solving the world's problems with very little adult supervision. I spent most Saturdays watching this show, and every once in a while, I find myself humming the jaunty theme song (you'd know it if you heard it.) Although I'd like to keep this blog focused on rock/pop/soul/folk videos, I may one day just slip in a TV theme song or two. I can do that because it's my blog, and I don't have any adult supervision.

Tonight's featured artist is actually in town tonight opening for Eric Clapton. I sincerely wish I was going, but I am not. Los Lobos is from East L.A. and serves up some great Latin-inspired Tex-Mex rock. Like so many bands that I listened to in the 80's, they seemed to disappear then reappear several times. They gained success by covering Richie Valens' La Bamba for the motion picture, but I think their best work was their first album "How Will the Wolf Survive". This cut is from that album and features great vocals and guitar. Plus, there are few that look as cool as these guys. Enjoy and Beunos Noches!

2 comments: